Kalchatti - a cooking vessel carved out of soapstone, a naturally occurring soft stone. It has thick wall and is heavy which will ensure slow and even cooking. Since they are porous, heat and moisture circulate through the pot while cooking, thereby enhancing the flavour
Benefits of Kalchatti - Soapstone Vessel
- It will retain heat and keeps food warm for 4-5 hours.
- Nutrition of food remains intact: the nature of the stone and cooking of the food evenly retains nutrients.
Do's and Don'ts
Kalchatti needs to be treated before you start cooking in them. The treatment process is as given below:
- Apply a mixture of gingely oil with turmeric all over the cookware, both inside and outside. Keep the vessel aside for 3 days.
- On the 4th day, wash the utensil and fill it with starch water from washed rice (or mix arrowroot powder of around 3 spoons in water and use this instead). Repeat this process for 4 days
- On the 7th day, fill the utensil with regular water or starch water and heat it in low flame till the water boils. Repeat this process for 3 days. This helps the vessel to adjust to heat.
- On the 10th day, the utensil can be used for cooking
- Do not cook in high flame or do direct seasoning (tadka) for the initial 1 month.
- The number of days of treatment can be increased by any number of days as it makes the utensil better. But the number of days should not be decreased.
- Caution: Soapstone has to be used carefully in low flame for first 10-15 uses of cooking and only gravies to be cooked initially. Exposing them to sudden temperatures can cause sudden cracks/chip off or damages to the cookware.
Significance of Traditional Vessels
Our Vedic Tradition gave immense importance to the metals that our cooking utensils are made. Some of the metals that were used to make traditional vessels are Copper, Bronze, Brass, Clay, Stoneware and Iron
Each of the metals had their own significance and not all dishes were prepared using any of these metal vessels. Each of the dish was prepared in the metal vessels which not only added taste but also enhanced medicinal properties int here own way. There was science behind the type of metal vessel that was used.
Dull grey / black
3 different sizes available
What is in the box?
1 Kalchatti - Soapstone Vessel
The product image is for reference purpose only, the actual image may vary in color and the size compared to the image.