Viralimalai Murugan Temple
Viralimalai Murugan Temple is situated in Pudukottai, Tamil Nadu. Lord Muruga is known as Sri Shanmuganathar with his cohorts Valli and Devasena / Devayanai.
People pray to Lord Shanmuganathar for health, happiness, longevity, education, wisdom, good yields in farming.
Idol of Nagaraja - snake is installed at the centre of Naga theertham.
Significance of the temple:
- The temple is praised in the hymns of Saint Arunagiriar.
- Cigar is offered as nivedhana to Lord Muruga in this temple
Cigar is a unique offering similar to the sandal paste offered to Lord Dandayudhapani during Arthajama puja in Palani. During the reign of Ramachandra Thondaiman of Pudukottai. The Lord is believed to have appeared in his dream and requested the offering of cigars for the Kalasandhi and Sayaratchai puja. The king is said to have been cured of his diseases after the offer of cigars to the Lord according
Important Temple Festivals:
- 10 days Vaikasi Visakam in May-June
- 10 days Thai Poosam
- 6 days Aipasi Skanda Sashti – Soora Samharam in October-November
- Arunagirinathar Music Festival each year is celebrated grandly in the temple
- Aadi Kirtigai
- Tamil New Year
- Morning: 6.00 AM to 11.00 a.m
- Evening: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM