Thiruporur Kandaswamy Temple is situated in Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu. The main deity is Lord Subramanya / Muruga as Kandaswamy with his consorts Valli and Deivaanai in separate shrines. There is a separate shrine for Shiva and Parvathi
Significance of Thiruporur Kandaswamy Temple
As per Hindu legend, Murugan fought with demons in three places, namely, the sea at Tiruchendur, land at Thirupparankundram and in air at Thiruporur. Since Muruga won over Tharuka asuran, this place came to be Porur (por in Tamil means war) and also called by other names like Tharukapuri and Samarapuri.
It is believed that sage Agastya on his way to Pothigai hills visited this place.
According to the sthala puraanam, at some point of time, the place was submerged in a deluge. A sage named Chidambara Adigal was residing in Madurai and a divine voice asked him to unearth the statue under a palm tree. He dug out the statue and built a temple around it.
The image of Kandaswamy is believed as Swayambu murthy or to have originated on its own and hence Abhishekam / ablution is not done to the presiding deity. There is an yantra over a Tortoise base where all the rituals are performed
Thiruporur Kandaswamy Temple Festivals:
- Vaikasi Vishakam celebrated during the Tamil month of Vaigaasi (May - June)
- Masi Bramotsavam during"Masi" Month (March),
- Paal kudam / Paal Kaavadi Festival (Milk Pot) on Pongal (Tamil Harvesting festival)
- Skandha shashti festival
- Navarathri during Aippasi (October - November)
Morning: 6:30 AM to 12:00 PM
Evening: 5 PM to 8 PM
- The Price of the Puja includes service charges, prasad, packing and courier cost and any other incidental charges
- We are not agent of any temple, our representative will perform the puja on your behalf and collect the prasadam.
- You will receive the prasadam within 30 days