Swamimalai Murugan Temple is located in Kumbakonam District, Tamil Nadu.
The temple is one of the six holy shrines of Murugan called Arupadaiveedu. The shrine of the presiding deity, Swaminathaswamy is located atop a 60 ft (18 m) hillock and the shrine of his mother Meenakshi (Parvathi) and father Shiva (Sundareswarar) is located downhill.
Significance of Swamimalai Murugan Temple:
Swamimalai is one of the Arupadaiveedu, believed to be the six main abodes of Muruga, that mark the different phases of his life. According to Hindu belief, Swamimalai is where Muruga preached what as called as "Pranava mantra" to his own father, Shiva, at a young age, after arresting Brahma for not answering his question about Pranava Mantram and hence attained the name Swaminathaswamy.
The stala vriksham is the Nellimaram and this tree is said to be a manifestation of Bhudevi. The theerthams here are Vajra theertham, Saravana Theerhtam, Netra Pushkarini and Kumaratturai (Kaveri). Legend has it that a blind devotee was blessed with eyesight after a dip in the Netra Theertham
Festivals of Swamimalai Murugan Temple:
- 10 day Tirukarthikai festival in November-December is the important festival of the temple drawing crowd in lakhs.
- 10 day Chithirai Brahammotsavam in April-May
- Vaikasi Visagam in May-June
- Aavani Pavithrotsavam in August-September
- 10 day Navarathri in September-October
- Aipasi Skanda Sashti in October-November
- 10 day Margazhi Tiruvadirai in December-January
- Thai Poosam in January-February
- Panguni Valli Kalyanam in March-April
Of these, the festivals falling in Chithirai, Karthikai and Thai Tamil months are inaugurated with flag hoisting. Thirupadi festival for the steps is celebrated on the English New Year day. Also, monthly Kruthika star days, Monthly Tamil new days, New moon and full moon days, Sashti days, Visakam star days, Tamil and English New Year days, Deepavali and Pongal are devotionally celebrated in the temple. The crowd in the temple is huge on Tuesdays and all festival days.
5.00 a.m. to 12.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m
- The Price of the Puja includes service charges, prasad, packing and courier cost and any other incidental charges
- We are not agent of any temple, our representative will perform the puja on your behalf and collect the prasadam.
- You will receive the prasadam within 30 days