Madurai Meenakshi Temple is situated on the southern bank of the Vaigai River in the temple city of Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Book online at Anarghyaa.com to get prasadam from Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple. We will perform puja in your name by taking the sankalpam and send you the prasadam to your doorstep.
Madurai Meenakshi Temple Speciality:
The Mother of the Cosmos, “Adi Shakti” (the original source of energy), the divine consort of Lord Shiva, “Sundareshwara” appeared in her third incarnation as “Meenakshi, meaning fish eyed” from the words “meena, meaning fish” and “akshii meaning eyes”. Meenakshi also means “the one who has eyes like that of a fish”. Fishes are said to look after and protect their younger ones with their eyes, similarly goddess looks after her devotees. Just by her one look, one glance our miseries disappear. (Sri Lalitha Sahasranama - Unmesha nimishodhpanna vipanna bhuvanavali)
Meenakshi is the epitome of wisdom, beauty, courage, compassion and efficiency, completely radiating divinity on Earth. adiating Her motherly compassion to everyone, She captures the hearts of her citizens and devotees with her miraculous healing powers.
Significance of Madurai Meenakshi Temple:
It is dedicated to Meenakshi, a form of Parvati, and her consort, Sundareswar, a form of Shiva. The temple is at the center of the ancient temple city of Madurai mentioned in the Tamil Sangam literature, with the goddess temple mentioned in 6th century CE texts.
According to the Tiruvilaiyatal Puranam, of the list of 68 pilgrimage places in Shaivism, four are most important: Kashi (Varanasi), Chidambaram, Tirukkalatti and Madurai. The sacrality of Madurai is from this temple. The shrine of Sundareswarar is considered as one of the Pancha Sabhai (five courts), where the Tamil Hindu tradition believes Shiva performed cosmic dance.
Meenakshi Temple Architecture:
The temple complex is spread over about 14 acres. It houses 14 gopurams (gateway towers), ranging from 45–50m in height, with the southern gopura tallest at 51.9 metres (170 ft). The complex has numerous sculpted pillared halls such as Ayirakkal (1,000 pillar hall), Kilikoondu-mandapam, Golu-mandapam and Pudu-mandapam. Its shrines are dedicated to Hindu deities and Shaivism scholars, with the vimanas above the garbhagrihas (sanctums) of Meenakshi and Sundaresvara gilded with gold.
The sacred temple tank is called Porthamarai Kulam ("Pond with the golden lotus"). It is also referred to as Adhi Theertham, Sivaganga and Uthama Theertham.
Meenakshi Temple Festivals:
- Meenakshi Thirukalyanam in Chithirai month, which typically falls about April. It marks the divine marriage of Meenakshi, and is the most attended festival attracting over a million people over 12 days.
- Vasantham festival is celebrated in Vaikasi month.
- The Unjal Festival in Aani
- Mulai-Kottu festival in Aadi
- Aavani Moolam in the month of Aavani
- Kolattam festivals of Ayppasi and Karthikai months
- Arudhra Dharsan festival of Margazhi month
- Thai month utsavam that co-celebrated with the Mariyamman temple in Madurai
- Masi utsavam and Vasantham utsavam in Panguni
- In the Tamil month of Purattasi, the temple celebrates the Navarathri festival
- The Price of the Puja includes service charges, prasad, packing and courier cost and any other incidental charges
- We are not agent of any temple, our representative will perform the puja on your behalf and collect the prasadam.
- You will receive the prasadam within 30 days